Wednesday, November 29, 2017

So Cross....

This time honoured room at the Swedish Residence, which has been the scene of numerous health crises, both Keita's and mine, is once more the stage of another calamity.
I tend to have my head in the clouds, so I am not going to accuse the two young boys who ran into me this lunchtime with their Djakarta, the omnipresent scooter of Mali. I may well be at fault, having perhaps  stepped into the road without due attention...Anyway. there was an almighty smash that sent me flying and I landed on my back, spead-eagled on the road in front of Amandine's in Badalabougou.
Kind passers by pulled my dress down, supported me as I tried to stand up, and in due course I found enough presence of mind to wriggle my toes and try and find out if I had anything broken. It seemed that I did not, at least at first.
So a kind stranger gave me lift back  to Eva's, where I have spent the afternoon resting and indulging in self pity, while  the pain my foot has steadily increased. I can't stand on it. Dear Eva came to commiserate, to plunge my foot into a bucket of ice water and to comfort me with good white wine. Her new chef brought us great dinner in my room.
I am extremely cross. Now, what is THIS supposed to Mean? I do not have the time for this disaster.

Tomorrow my dear friend Karen will pick me up to take me to have the foot ex- rayed to see if it is broken.
I am totally intending to go on to Djenne and Timbuktu, even if it will have to be on crutches, goddammit... Just try and stop me!

3 comments:

  1. No surprise there, on either the disaster or the tenacity fronts. But of course I'm very sorry. It could have happened here. Our good friend Lottie broke three toes leaping around the front room here to the lively Europe Day Concert performance of Mendelssohn's Hebrides Overture. And collided with a sofa leg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you make me laugh...feeling more cheerful this morning, but soon off to be ex-rayed...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because I’m just reading this now, BLOODY HELL, THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE !!!
    I’M SO SORRY about this accident.

    ReplyDelete