Monday, July 16, 2018

Timbuktu done..

 And back in Bamako briefly before setting off shortly for other northward climes... the above is an admirable attempt by someone at the UN to beautify, with a little fountain in a plastic wash basin, the new 'airport' in Timbuktu, which is now situated in a large prefab after the destruction of the airport building a couple of months ago during a Jihadist attack.  I nearly did not get on the flight- it is getting virtually impossible now and I had to plead with my friend the Governor of Timbuktu (see the very first entry to this  journal...) to arrange a place for me to return to Bamako. He did. Al hamdullillah, and here I  find myself, after a challenging visit to the team in Timbuktu as always... More later. The nature is so different: here the plane leaves Timbuktu where not a drop of rain has fallen, and it arrives in a verdant rainy season  Bamako...

More soon...

3 comments: