Thursday, August 16, 2018

Not sad exactly...

I have every reason to be rejoicing: tomorrow I am beginning to paint the floor canvas for Auckland Castle. I have just returned from a lovely short holiday in Sweden. My dear god children have just passed their A-levels with flying colours. Soon there will be an exhibition at the British Library  celebrating the manuscripts of Djenne, and that is perhaps something that I might be proud of. On Saturday some great friends are coming for dinner and we will have fun- for sure.

But I am listening to Kar-Kar  (Boubakar Traore) and nostalgia for the  joyous times in the old, happier Mali is invading my soul. How lucky I was to live there and for a brief few golden years experience such an idyll at my hotel!

Mali have chosen their president, and it is IBK once more, with 67.17% of the votes. But Malians  went to the urns with scant enthusiasm, and only 34.84% of the population bothered at all, as the population  has seemingly lost their belief in the possibility of change, in peace and the return  of better times.

And Aretha has left us today... RIP great lady.




No comments:

Post a Comment