Thursday, January 17, 2019

Another year, another canticle...

That is what they are called, the three parts of Dante’s Divina Commedia.
We managed somehow to escape Hell just before Christmas, as the little reading group which meets at my flat every two weeks emerged victorious from the trials of those  unhappy and unholy places into the light once more –it has taken us a year to finish the Inferno- and last night we embarked on something altogether lighter as we began the Purgatorio.  I must confess that I occasionally had my doubts about the real value of Dante’s  epic poem- is it really that great? There were times when it seemed like a slog and, frankly, a bore- how much interest can one muster for the gossip and intrigues of Florence in 1300? There is quite a lot of such stuff...but of course it is not allowed to harbour any doubts about it- how could Dante not be great? I suppose it would be like saying that Shakespeare isn’t that good actually... It simply isn’t possible. If we don’t like it the fault must lie with ourselves:  there is such overwhelming weight of opinion: it is unassailable. (Although weight of opinion does not necessarily mean one has to agree: for instance that film everyone is going potty over- the Favourite. I really disliked it- and in this case I refuse to bend.) But we are talking Dante here...We persevered and I did it often because it was fun to have my friends come and to focus on the text- often that would lead us into good talks about all sorts of interesting things.
And then something happened- to start the new canticle was quite a revelation:  there were fresh breezes and air and light and beauty – there was great space again and suddenly I got a revived sense of the greatness of the poem- in Dorothy Sayer’s wonderful translation :

‘Colour unclouded, orient-sapphirine,
Softly suffusing from meridian height
Down the still sky to the horizon-line,

Brought to mine eyes renewal of delight
So soon as I came forth from that dead air
Which had oppressed my bosom and my sight

Purgatorio is not really a place of misory- it is a place of journeying and of hope and that is one reason why many people regard this second part as the best of the Divina Commedia. I am sure Milton found much inspiration here- so much reminded me of him.
So many lovely – and cinematographic images: the glittering Ship of Souls arriving with a great Angel at the helm ; the  tender  passage where Virgil washes the smear and grime of Hell from the face of Dante in the fresh dew of the Island of Purgatory; and the gentle ‘flock’ of souls, the ‘excommunicates’ who wait  timidly and patiently to be able to begin their ascent of the mountain: they see the shadow of Dante thrown from  the setting sun behind him onto the mountain: he as the only living body is the only one that casts a shadow- this excites their timid curiosity.. All charming and ravishingly beautifully told. 


And what else...? Well, I am once more back in Kindred Studios for a few weeks where I am painting a couple of floor canvases  for the David Parr House In Cambridge  which will be made into a Museum soon- a lovely little late ninetheenth century treasure trove of hand painted walls, ceilings and floors...

At the same time on the Mali front we have been selling quite a few textiles through Etsy.com https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MaliMaliStudio  so maybe there will be some work still for dear Dembele? I will be putting in a new order with him tomorrow- perhaps we can continue?

I am just about to book my flight back to Mali again for the last part of April. It will be the Great Heat then... I love that.







No comments:

Post a Comment