Friday, April 6, 2018

Grizzlier Than Thou



...is what I call a certain type of toubab one often encounters in these climes- and in the Middle East of course, or in any volatile part of the world.  They are invariably journalists or form parts of documentary film crews.  You spot them by their khaki coloured multi pocketed ‘combat style’ outfits and their pained expressions which makes it clear how committed they are to their dangerous mission in hand.  They frequently carry bullet proof vests and sometimes, like the ones I ran into this morning on the plane to Timbuktu, they even carry helmets as accessories,  nonchalantly slung over their shoulders, you understand,  never actually worn.  The interesting thing about the Grizzlier than Thou species is they NEVER acknowledge another fellow toubab traveller. I tried to catch their eyes this morning to give them a friendly smile, but they simply pretend that you are not there. I have pondered on this phenomenon frequently in my travels, and have come to the conclusion that they just don’t want you to be there. They want to feel that they are the only intrepid travellers around, going to dangerous places where others fear to tread.
I did not manage to take a picture of the Grizzlies I encountered this morning and more is the pity: they were perfect specimens. It is not recommended to ask if one can have a group shot with them.
                                                                         

But nevermind.  As the plane carried us north I was having a lot of fun in the jolly company of Colonel Obeid of the Bangla Desh Air Force (in civilian clothes right above) and two Chadians as well as one soldier from Benin, and next to me sat a civilian gentleman from Timbuktu who had also waited at the airport in vain yesterday. 
                                                                         
We were all busy taking selfies and behaving in a very childish and undignified way, quite excited by the flight and by the fact that never ceases to move me: the number of nationalities that has come together here in the name of Peace. Behind us you can just glimpse a soldier from Cambodia. The plane also held troops from Nepal and there were Tunisians and some Egyptians, among whom a most exquisitely beautiful young military policeman. I was too shy to ask for a picture...

My companions felt no need to emphasize how dangerous their missions were, although  the soldiers were certainly on their way to one of the most dangerous postings in Mali. When the plane had dropped me, my civilian friend and the Grizzlies off in Timbuktu  the rest carried on to Tessalit which holds a garrison of a hundred UN Chadian troops and 50 Bangla Deshis. Colonel Obeid explained to me that the Chadians were undertaking the most dangerous reconnaissance ground work, and the Bangla Deshis were there to support them.
 It is often said that the Malian UN mission is the deadliest  on- going peace operation in the world.  In February last year 118 peace keepers had been killed, and the past year has been just as bloody as the previous four.  It is an uncomfortable fact  that this body count is comprised almost entirely of soldiers from the neighbouring African nations.  There are in the region of 14000 UN troops in Mali, of whom ca 2000 Europeans.  Sweden contributes  350 and the  Netherlands, Germany and Belgium make up the rest. There have been no European fatalities. The explanation for this is that although each country that sends UN troops receives an equal amount of money from the United Nations per soldier, it is not all nations that choose to invest this money into their soldiers’ equipment and safety procedures.  The African nations are also the ones that choose to perform the most dangerous tasks. Their soldiers are the ones being blown up by land mines during dangerous manoeuvres which would never be accepted by the European UN contingents. Life is cheaper to these African nations, it seems. As a high ranking German UN officer explained to me, if coffins began to arrive back on German soil their  UN mission would be reduced or even withdrawn...that probably goes for all the European missions here.
 From the beginning of the Malian war, long before the MINUSMA peace keeping forces arrived, Chad came to the rescue of Mali and their soldiers fought alongside the French and Malian forces to retake the north. The Chadians have a reputation for being brave and efficient soldiers and have also been active in the fight to eliminate Boko Haram. They have lost many soldiers in Mali.  I thought of this when I looked at this sleeping Chadian soldier on the plane, on his way to Tessalit...

6 comments:

  1. Once again you give us chapter and verse on an aspect of life in Mali we know little about. A fascinating planeload indeed, and the pics are so jolly. You made me laugh, of course, about the grizzlies. I remember the horrible Frenchman who made the later stages of our overland journey to Timbuktu so unpleasant. Though he wouldn't acknowledge us he had no compunction in saying rude things about us to his extended family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there are quite a few French in the species...although they can originate from just about anywhere.
    see you soon!xxS

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you may remember, our worst problem was with snooty French tour groups in the Pays Dogon. Not a problem now, I imagine...

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot here to dwell on - perhaps even I have sometimes been among the species of Grizzlies. Maybe a few other reasons to add:
    - On my first trip to Africa (eastern DRC), I was almost literally shaking with fear as I sat waiting for my plane to Kisangani in Goma airport. Sometimes people appear cold because they are really scared.

    - I remember when moving to Africa, my rucksack was full of clothes from the Rohan shop - lots of khaki, an over-abundance of pockets etc, and all extremely ugly. Fortunately, I've long since ditched the colonial safari look.

    - There are few things reporters in Africa dislike more than missionaries, and most will assume that any westerner middle aged and over in remote places of Africa is a missionary. I think in this dislike there's a certain type of liberal revulsion with religion and also an association of missionaries with colonialism, but also an underlining fear that these guys might have made more of an effort to integrate and get closer to people's culture than you did. Journalists don't like anyone pointing out how western they are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear John,
    Just saw your comment. Thank you so much for this sensitive explanation which makes a lot of sense. I chuckle to myself when I think that people might take me for a missionary!
    I don't myself despise missionaries at all, and it is certainly true that missionaries have been and still are hugely instrumental in the education and health care of Africa,whatever one might feel about their efforts to promote Christianity.
    I see your'e in Abidjan?
    That must be a great place to live- have never visited. All the best,
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete