Sunday, April 28, 2019

London delights




                                                                               
London is claiming me back with its kaleidoscopic possibilities... and I have taken full advantage of them, and been out almost every night since arriving back on Good Friday-  highlights were certainly Romeo and Juliet  on Friday night with Kathy and my godchildren who soaked in and revelled in the glamour of the  Royal Opera House and watched the ravishing Kenneth Macmillan choreography to the powerful Prokovief score.  This composer continued to hold the attention last night as I watched a brand spanking new play called ‘The Glass Piano’,  which was accompanied by  a live  concert pianist playing Prokofiev at the old Coronet Cinema, Notting Hill, now transformed into the quirky, cosy and beautiful Print Room, one of my favourite theatre venues  in London.

                                                                           
The premiere last night of this quirky, funny but ultimately tragic play set in mid nineteenth century Bavaria had  a rapturous reception by the normally quite spoilt and reserved London theatre crowd who clapped and stamped and shouted ‘Bravo!’- I thought I was in Milan, not Notting Hill... Do go if you are in London and have a chance.

Have finally put my African photographs up- here are some of those that used to adorn my mud walls in Djenne- the majority from Malik Sidibe’s trip to the hotel when we commissioned him in 2007.

                                                                             
And this morning in Djenne was the Crepissage of the Great Mosque... a spectacle I have seen so many times but which always seem as fresh and joyous as the first time. The picture from Paul Chandler who braved the hardships of the road and closed his ears to the travel warnings.

                                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment