Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Lost and Found




Late summer in London keeps me busy preparing for an art exhibition- yes, I know this is something of a departure once more, but it is not the first time ... before I emigrated to Mali and became the owner of a mud hotel I did work as an artist and had a couple of exhibitions in London. One of them was in Europe House, the head quarter of the European Commission in the UK. It was in December 2005, and it was the very first show of what became the 12 Star Gallery, a showcase of art by European artists. Because I did the first show, I am now honoured to have been invited to do, not quite the last, but most probably the penultimate show in this gallery which is now in its 19th year...!
( That I am hoping for some miracle to make the shows go on and,  most of all, to make the UK stay in Europe goes without saying...)

This is how it is described by the gallery:

Lost and Found
Works by Sophie Sarin

2-11 October 2019

Sophie Sarin was born in Sweden and has lived and worked in several European countries. Her work explores the subject of regeneration and rebuilding, celebrating the heroic and irrepressible human urge to construct and reconstruct order from chaos. She attempts to discover the extraordinary that resides in the ordinary and the accidental, and transforms the discarded and mundane into objects of interest and beauty, discovering meaning in the apparently meaningless. She often works with materials which would otherwise find their way to the recycling plant, performing her own form of recycling; a reassignment of purpose to humble, discarded items of everyday life.
Certain aspects of Sophie's work are also inspired by language and the wish to communicate across borders.

So, yes, I am running around looking for interesting bits to do something with- like the metal scraps from scaffolding planks above. I have found myself a studio in Hackney and have thrown myself head long into this new adventure- I only have six weeks! More about this soon...

                                                                           

In the middle of  this artistic flurry, I have also managed to see some friends- here is Cressida who came for Sunday lunch with a few others from her fabulous birthday party in Italy this summer. We had a wine flowing, jolly afternoon reminiscing, and I presented her finally with her birthday present, the necklace made from recycled flip flops I bought in Mopti a few weeks ago. She seems to like it, and it is perfect with her dress!




5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I think you need to add that you HOPE it will not be the penultimate...The stress for the poor gallery owner is extreme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that gallery and have been there many times - indeed run many an event at Europe House courtesy of the lovely Jeremy O'Sullivan. Look forward to seeing the show very much! How wonderful to have a studio - wishing you much inspiration Sophie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice Kim! Looking forward to seeing you at the Private view.

    ReplyDelete