Sunday, June 3, 2018

New trouble in Timbuktu

And of a kind I cannot really talk about, because it might jeopardize our manuscript project... But I wish I could jump on a plane tonight and then be granted  a 'Must-Fly' for Tuesday's Timbuktu flight.
If that were possible, I would then go straight to old Imam Essayouti, whom Father Columba likens to the Dalai Lama. He exudes calm and wisdom, and that is exactly what is necessary now. He would sort it all out, I am certain. I have a very soft spot for him and he calls me 'La Brave Sophie'.
But alas, it is not possible to get on that plane now. I cannot fly for another two or three weeks although I am doing well after my operation. I will be going soon and I will spend most of July in Mali but for now the only option is trying to communicate from a distance- but I have always found telephone conversations to be very dangerous and likely  to make matters worse through misunderstandings. Especially since I suffer from a short temper...
Let's just say that we have a very serious problem with a big-headed young employee of the project who is refusing to carry out an essential task- so essential that if it is not done, the project might face closure.
Here I am with dear Imam Essayouti:





1 comment: