Sunday, September 29, 2019

Good news from Mali for a change!




Although not on a national scale, but bringing me lots of joy, nevertheless...

                                                                        
Mamane, my ex-bartender/Man Friday at Hotel Djenne Djenno (above on the last night of the hotel), a well-known character for those who have followed my Malian adventures, had been causing me a lot of concern- he has been unemployed for over two years, since the closure of Hotel Djenne Djenno.
 He has been in Bamako for nearly a year now, like a multitude of others flocking to the capital from the North and the Centre hoping  to find employment, and in most cases failing. I repost the below the picture  from our meeting  in August at the Sleeping Camel, the venerable watering hole mainly for English speaking expats.
Today I had the happy tidings that my friend the lovely American Phil, the manager of the Sleeping Camel had decided to take him on in a barman/general helper capacity and that he will start working on Monday! That is just so brilliant...Alhamdilullah!

And apart from those lovely tidings I can also announce that I am all ready for my ART EXHIBITION at the 12 Star Gallery of Europe House, the home of the European Commission in London with Private View on Tuesday night! It is the second time I show there. Before going to Mali and opening my hotel I did the very first show when the gallery was new  in 2005. I was intending to launch myself into a full-time career as an artist, but got way-laid and ended up in Djenne instead...

But isn’t it lovely how life sometime throws up second chances if we miss the first one?And it is all because of the lovely Jeremiah, cultural attache to the European Commission in London...
Pictures to follow of course!


No comments:

Post a Comment