Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Italian Plotting...



A couple of weeks ago:
Dripping nose, a cough like an earthquake, looking out of my bedroom window onto the depressing view of the Grenfell Tower (I was in Mali when it burned).  The sky is beginning to take on the gold and rose of a late winter’s day in the west, and I am wondering what I could possible have to write about. For some time an unaccustomed feeling of floating in a void and wondering what comes next has invaded me, at the same time as I know that it is only I that can decide what comes next. Everytime I have felt like this, I have had to jump in and shape something new. London life is good, but at the moment it feels aimless.

A few days later, nose still dripping:
                        
                                                                             
 I have decided to investigate Italy... just as I went to Djenne in 2006 to investigate possibilities for a new future (and remained for 12 years) I am now going to go to Italy. More specifically Siena, with only the tenuous reason that it is beautiful, medieval and has something to do with horses through its Palio race. Yes, yes, call me frivolous and irresponsible, by all means.
I will stay for a month this summer and  just look around, without too much of a strict plan, apart from studying Italian and looking  at property. The idea seems not entirely unsound. If I decide not to invent a new future, what could possibly be wrong with a month in Siena, learning Italian and sketching and looking at properties, perhaps for a little Pensione? A roof terrace with sunset views over the distant hills of Tuscany where I could invent a new sunset cocktail for my guests would be nice...
I would never have left my hotel in Djenne had the political situation not become impossible. Life in a historic city like Djenne, looking after a long stream of interesting guests was my idea of an earthly heaven...

Meanwhile, my next trip to Mali- Bamako, Djenne and Timbuktu is booked in April. And I have the incredible good fortune to once more to be invited to stay in my old ‘Bamako home’, the Swedish Embassy residence that I know so well. Now Eva is of course retired and living in Sweden, but I will be the guest of Carin Wall, another former Swedish ambassador to Mali, who is also retired but have accepted to do a six month’s  stint as ambassador again, while the Swedish foreign office puts a new ambassador in place.  Carin was very kind to me and gave Malimali a fashion show at the Villa Soudan, a boutique hotel in Bamako on the river Niger : see www.djennedjenno.blogspot.com March 20th 2013 for a report on the lively after-show celebrations... 

And here in London the David Parr floor canvases are installed, finally, in the little museum-to-be in the Cambridge working man’s cottage – here with my old friend Dan who came to help me on the day.



And finally, Geoffrey Cox, the Attorney General, has probably ruined  Theresa May's last ditch attempt to get her deal through Parliament tonight for the all-important Brexit vote by pronoucing that the legal implications  for Britain in the new codicils that May negociated last night with Barnier aimed to provide reassurance to enable the vote to go through represent no improvement and will not be legally binding. This all  seems to get closer and closer to an all or nothing scenario: perhaps in the end no brexit (Hurray!) or hard brexit are the only options since noone seems willing to compromise...

5 comments:

  1. Italy sounds good. Lots of other places too less well known (and cheaper) than Tuscany, gorgeous though it is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. good to hear from you Marianne! Yes, you are right, I am sure, but a lovely place to start and to do the language course at least.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sacrée Sophie, la fonceuse! l'Italie, en voilà une belle idée! Tu nous étonneras toujours et nous admirons ton enthousiasme. Nous étions à l'hotel Djenne Djenno peu après son ouverture, nous sommes pré-inscrits pour ton nouvel "albergo". Ci vediamo ben presto tel tuo nuovo albergo! Mile baci!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gracie mille caro amici! Sei multo ben venuti! (ou quelquechose comme ca? ecrit sans Google translate...)

    ReplyDelete